Free Excel Timesheet Template
for Tracking Employee Hours
Log and monitor employee hours, breaks, overtime, vacation, and more
How to Use an Excel Timesheet?
A quarter of businesses surveyed use paper or spreadsheets to track employee time, and it’s not hard to understand why. Most of us know how to use Microsoft Excel, and it’s a step up from printed paper timesheets.
There are easier and more accurate ways to track employee hours, but if you’re set on sticking to manual timesheets, it helps to know what you’re looking for. And while we have found that a mobile time clock app is the best time tracking solution, for the spreadsheet enthusiast, we’ve designed a free Excel solution. Once you’ve downloaded it, here’s how to use it.
Step 1: Fill in your employee’s name, their manager, your company’s name, the pay period start date, your employee’s standard pay rate, and your employee’s overtime pay rate.
Step 2: Employees can fill in the day, date, job/shift, job/shift code, their time in/out (including breaks), and any remaining hours (overtime, sick, holiday, and vacation).
Step 3: When it’s time to hand the timesheet in, employees sign the top of the form. Managers can then calculate the employee’s total time for payroll.
The Pros and Cons: Excel Time Tracking Versus Automated Time Tracking
“I’ve been with TSheets for years, and I wish I’d used them sooner! Switching from paper and spreadsheets to automated timesheets has made all the difference to our business. Payroll is easy, and we can run a report to bill our clients within minutes – and we’re saving money. What’s not to love?!”
— Danielle H., Bravos Boyz
- Take payroll processing from hours to minutes
- Save 10% on gross payroll costs
- Can be categorized by job, shift, client, or employee for easy reporting
- Consolidate each day’s time entries
- Provide clear and unchangeable audit trails
- Are stored safely in the cloud
- Can be approved easily from a computer or mobile device
“I used to spend hours waiting for my employees to text me their timesheets so I could manually fill out spreadsheets for payroll and invoice clients. And my crew wasted a ton of time just filling them out each day! TSheets has been a life-saver. My employees can clock in and out easily, and we can run accurate payroll in minutes.
— Tyler C., Crockett Custom Painting
- Can’t automatically generate reports by job, shift, client, or employee
- Require multiple time entries per day
- Can lead to costly payroll errors
- Take hours to process internally or with an accountant
- Are vulnerable to external audits and wage and hour disputes
- Can be lost on computer hard drives
- Must be manually entered into payroll and accounting software